- To facilitate the current cohort of Graduands' attending the Faculty-based Congregation Sessions and taking graduation photos, academic dress is on loan free of charge to Graduands of Class of 2016. Please refer to the Loan and Return page of this website for details.
- Please bring along a completed Loan Form (available on the Loan and Return page) and your Student ID, HKID card or passport to borrow a set of academic dress.
- For environmental protection purpose, please remember to bring your own bag for carrying the academic dress you would borrow, the University will not provide any bag for you.
- If you are UNABLE to collect the academic dress, please appoint a representative to do so for you. Please download the Authorization Form (available on the Loan and Return page), complete, sign and pass it together with a completed Loan Form and a photo-copy of your student ID card, HKID or passport to your representative for collecting a set of academic dress on your behalf.
- Alterations to the academic dress or attachments in any form are strictly forbidden. You will be charged for the cost of the items borrowed if they are damaged.
- You should return the academic dress you have borrowed to the University on or before the stipulated time. Otherwise, you will be charged an overdue payment of HK$80 per week. Please refer to the Loan and Return page of this website for details.
- If you need an academic dress after the loan period (January 6, 2017), you can rent one from the Gown Room (Room UG-06, Knowles Building; office hours: 9am to 12:30pm and 2 to 5:30pm from Mondays to Fridays except holidays) at a moderate rate of HK$60 per week. You will have to fill in a different form available at the Gown Room. When the appropriate rental is settled and all other details verified, you will be given a set of academic dress on the spot. Payment methods are the same for late return charges, please click here for the instructions. Please bring the payment advice slip, a copy of your degree certificate and your HKID card/passport for verification.
- Alumni who graduated in previous years can also rent academic dress from the University by a weekly rental of HK$60; procedures and details are the same as stated in point 7 above. To ensure enough academic dress be available for the current batch of Graduands, this service is suspended from early October in 2016 to the end of January 2017.
Tailor-made academic dress is available from Ah Yau Tailor (Tel : 2522-9823, email: firstname.lastname@example.org). The cost per outfit is HK$1600 for Doctors and HK$750 for Masters and Bachelors.
Size of Gowns and Caps
|5'3" (1.60m) or below
5'8" (1.73m) or above
|* measure around the head 0.5" above the ears|
Loss of Academic Dress
All borrowed pieces of the academic dress, ie, cap, hood and gown, must be returned to the University. If you have lost any of the pieces, you will have to pay the following charges:
1. Doctoral degree academic dress: $300 for losing the cap, $1100 for losing the gown, $200 for losing the hood.
2. Master's and Bachelor's degree academic dress: $180 for losing the cap, $400 for losing the gown, $170 for losing the hood.
Payment is the same as payment for late return of academic dress penalty, please click here for the instructions.