The site of the Centennial Campus, previously occupied by the Water Supplies Department (WSD), includes three buildings that date back to the 1920s and 1930s. These structures are not only of architectural interest, but also reflect the social and cultural conditions of their time. With the development of the new Centennial Campus, these heritage buildings will be conserved.
The Senior Staff Quarters (Grade II historic building) was built in 1923-4 for WSD site managers. The building is two-storey high, and has two four-room flats with adjoining servants' quarters. Some of the features include multi-casement windows, rough-honed granite walls and French doors. It is considered an excellent example of the colonial domestic architecture. The building will become the office of the HKU Press and also exhibition and reception areas of the University.
The Workmen's Quarters (Grade III historical building) were located in a one-storey red brick rectangular building with three rooms which housed Chinese workers and watchmen. The building was constructed in 1918-19 and has a pitched roof of Chinese pan-and-roll tiles and gable ends. Verandahs are featured on the front and rear parts of the quarters. The building will be used by the Academic Liaison Section of the Registry.
The Elliot Treatment Works Building (Grade III historical building) was built in 1930 - 31 to contain water filtration equipment. It is typical example of early 20th Century waterworks infrastructure in Hong Kong. The design is functional and incorporates the stages of the filtration process within the structure, with the equipment spread over three levels.